SubjectRe: ACPI trouble (Was: Re: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset)
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Dieter [iso-8859-15] Nützel wrote:

> > When running '/sbin/poweroff' from single-user, 'halt -i -d p' is the
> > last command run by the halt script. The I get the message 'Power down.'
> > from the kernel and my system just hangs here.
>
> What if you do it by hand?

Eh, it signals init to go to runlevel 0. Apparently it is some kind of
wrapper.

> > When running /sbin/poweroff from runlevel 3 or 5, 'halt -i -d -p' is
> > again the last command run, follwing this from the kernel:
> >
> > Power down.
> > hwsleep-0178 [02] Acpi_enable_sleep_state: Entering S5
>
> Maybe this is an indication of broken BIOS.

Another broken BIOS implementation...

Btw. I'm running with BIOS 1005A. I did not dare to flash to 1007 as the
flash program is telling me, that the 1007 BIOS is for "A7V133-C" while
my current BIOS is for "<A7V133>"...

> You should grep for the ACPI diagnosis tools and send your results to the
> acpi-devel list.

Eh, is that the pmtools package? If so, I have put output from the
programs at http://www.amagerkollegiet.dk/~moffe/acpi/

> > And again my system hangs. Pressing the power button for 4 seconds turns
> > off the computer (the BIOS is set to 'immediate power off').
>
> What? This is contradictorily.

If the Linux ACPI implementation takes over control of the button, it
should be ok or what?

> > From my 'make menuconfig:
> >
> > [*] Power Management support
> > [*] ACPI support
> > [*] ACPI Debug Statements
> > <*> ACPI Bus Manager
> > <*> System
> > <*> Processor
> > < > Button
> > < > AC Adapter
> > < > Embedded Controller
> > < > Advanced Power Management BIOS support
>
> I have Button enabled, too. Please try.

I just tried the same ACPI configuration as you; no change - it still
hangs at 'Power off.'.

> > At bootup I get the following regarding ACPI:
>
> Can you send the fist lines from your boot log?

I have put it in the same place
(http://www.amagerkollegiet.dk/~moffe/acpi/) as acpi-old.txt. Also there
is the dmesg from the kernel with the acpi-patch (from the intel site)
applied.

> Maybe you should CC to acpi-devel.

Done (however I'm not a list member myself).

> > My motherboard is an Asus A7V133-C. Output from lspci -v:
>
> > 00:04.4 Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev
> > 40) Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8042
> > Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9
> > Capabilities: <available only to root>
>
> Unknown device 8042
>
> Maybe here is something missing, too.
>
> The ACPI people should lighten this. --- Andrew?

I've put the output from 'lspci -vvv -xx' on the same site
(http://www.amagerkollegiet.dk/~moffe/acpi/) if it should show up to be
helpful.

Regards
Rasmus