    SubjectRe: ACPI trouble (Was: Re: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset)
    On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Dieter [iso-8859-15] Nützel wrote:

    > > When running '/sbin/poweroff' from single-user, 'halt -i -d p' is the
    > > last command run by the halt script. The I get the message 'Power down.'
    > > from the kernel and my system just hangs here.
    >
    > What if you do it by hand?

    Eh, it signals init to go to runlevel 0. Apparently it is some kind of
    wrapper.

    > > When running /sbin/poweroff from runlevel 3 or 5, 'halt -i -d -p' is
    > > again the last command run, follwing this from the kernel:
    > >
    > > Power down.
    > > hwsleep-0178 [02] Acpi_enable_sleep_state: Entering S5
    >
    > Maybe this is an indication of broken BIOS.

    Another broken BIOS implementation...

    Btw. I'm running with BIOS 1005A. I did not dare to flash to 1007 as the
    flash program is telling me, that the 1007 BIOS is for "A7V133-C" while
    my current BIOS is for "<A7V133>"...

    > You should grep for the ACPI diagnosis tools and send your results to the
    > acpi-devel list.

    Eh, is that the pmtools package? If so, I have put output from the
    programs at http://www.amagerkollegiet.dk/~moffe/acpi/

    > > And again my system hangs. Pressing the power button for 4 seconds turns
    > > off the computer (the BIOS is set to 'immediate power off').
    >
    > What? This is contradictorily.

    If the Linux ACPI implementation takes over control of the button, it
    should be ok or what?

    > > From my 'make menuconfig:
    > >
    > > [*] Power Management support
    > > [*] ACPI support
    > > [*] ACPI Debug Statements
    > > <*> ACPI Bus Manager
    > > <*> System
    > > <*> Processor
    > > < > Button
    > > < > AC Adapter
    > > < > Embedded Controller
    > > < > Advanced Power Management BIOS support
    >
    > I have Button enabled, too. Please try.

    I just tried the same ACPI configuration as you; no change - it still
    hangs at 'Power off.'.

    > > At bootup I get the following regarding ACPI:
    >
    > Can you send the fist lines from your boot log?

    I have put it in the same place
    (http://www.amagerkollegiet.dk/~moffe/acpi/) as acpi-old.txt. Also there
    is the dmesg from the kernel with the acpi-patch (from the intel site)
    applied.

    > Maybe you should CC to acpi-devel.

    Done (however I'm not a list member myself).

    > > My motherboard is an Asus A7V133-C. Output from lspci -v:
    >
    > > 00:04.4 Bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686 [Apollo Super ACPI] (rev
    > > 40) Subsystem: Asustek Computer, Inc.: Unknown device 8042
    > > Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 9
    > > Capabilities: <available only to root>
    >
    > Unknown device 8042
    >
    > Maybe here is something missing, too.
    >
    > The ACPI people should lighten this. --- Andrew?

    I've put the output from 'lspci -vvv -xx' on the same site
    (http://www.amagerkollegiet.dk/~moffe/acpi/) if it should show up to be
    helpful.

    Regards
    Rasmus