From: "Daniel Nofftz" <>
To: "Martin Eriksson" <>
Cc: "Ed Sweetman" <>; "Vojtech Pavlik"
<>; "Timothy Covell" <>; "Dieter
N?tzel" <>; "Dave Jones" <>; "Andreas
Jaeger" <>; "Martin Peters" <>; "Linux Kernel List"
Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 8:21 PM
Subject: Re: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Martin Eriksson wrote:
> > Problems (in Windows, with similar patches) have mostly been sound skips
> > general "skippy" behaviour (not the peanut butter). My VIA KT133 based
> > with Athlon 1000 had major sound skips, both with onboard VIA sound and
> > SB512. Also the graphics in most 3D games stuttered badly.
> this is the first time i hear about such problems ...
> i have no problems at all and it works great under linux and win 2k
> (vcool) ... there are no sound skips or skippy behaviors ...

Well I guess it's very mobo-dependent then. What I remember from the VCool
program is that it made windows go crazy on me. I dont know exactly what
happened, just that I removed vcool very quickly.

I just tried the function again, not using vcool, instead *only* enabling
bit 8 of register 0x52 ("Disconnect Enable When STPGNT Detected") with the
following results:

* No other (major) load than Winamp: Minor sound skips
* Winamp when reading from hard disk: Major sound skips
* Winamp when using client: Almost no sound skips (one or
two on a 4 minute tune)
* Winamp when using & using hard disk: Almost no sound skips

As both the HD controller and soundcard does much DMA, I guess it has some
connection to DMA transfers on the PCI bus?

OS: Windows 2000 Pro
Northbridge: VIA KT133
Southbridge: VIA 686B
CPU: Athlon(B) 1GHz