    From: "Daniel Nofftz" <>
    To: "Martin Eriksson" <>
    Cc: "Ed Sweetman" <>; "Vojtech Pavlik"
    <>; "Timothy Covell" <>; "Dieter
    N?tzel" <>; "Dave Jones" <>; "Andreas
    Jaeger" <>; "Martin Peters" <>; "Linux Kernel List"
    Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 8:21 PM
    Subject: Re: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Martin Eriksson wrote:
    > > Problems (in Windows, with similar patches) have mostly been sound skips
    > > general "skippy" behaviour (not the peanut butter). My VIA KT133 based
    > > with Athlon 1000 had major sound skips, both with onboard VIA sound and
    > > SB512. Also the graphics in most 3D games stuttered badly.
    > this is the first time i hear about such problems ...
    > i have no problems at all and it works great under linux and win 2k
    > (vcool) ... there are no sound skips or skippy behaviors ...

    Well I guess it's very mobo-dependent then. What I remember from the VCool
    program is that it made windows go crazy on me. I dont know exactly what
    happened, just that I removed vcool very quickly.

    I just tried the function again, not using vcool, instead *only* enabling
    bit 8 of register 0x52 ("Disconnect Enable When STPGNT Detected") with the
    following results:

    * No other (major) load than Winamp: Minor sound skips
    * Winamp when reading from hard disk: Major sound skips
    * Winamp when using client: Almost no sound skips (one or
    two on a 4 minute tune)
    * Winamp when using & using hard disk: Almost no sound skips

    As both the HD controller and soundcard does much DMA, I guess it has some
    connection to DMA transfers on the PCI bus?

    OS: Windows 2000 Pro
    Northbridge: VIA KT133
    Southbridge: VIA 686B
    CPU: Athlon(B) 1GHz

    (Sorry, Linux is running on my BP6)

    | Martin Eriksson <>
    | MSc CSE student, department of Computing Science
    | Umeå University, Sweden

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.043 / U:0.776 seconds]