    SubjectRe: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset
    Date
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Daniel Nofftz" <nofftz@castor.uni-trier.de>
    To: "Martin Eriksson" <nitrax@giron.wox.org>
    Cc: "Ed Sweetman" <ed.sweetman@wmich.edu>; "Vojtech Pavlik"
    <vojtech@suse.cz>; "Timothy Covell" <timothy.covell@ashavan.org>; "Dieter
    N?tzel" <Dieter.Nuetzel@hamburg.de>; "Dave Jones" <davej@suse.de>; "Andreas
    Jaeger" <aj@suse.de>; "Martin Peters" <mpet@bigfoot.de>; "Linux Kernel List"
    <linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org>
    Sent: Wednesday, January 23, 2002 8:21 PM
    Subject: Re: [patch] amd athlon cooling on kt266/266a chipset

    > On Wed, 23 Jan 2002, Martin Eriksson wrote:
    >
    > > Problems (in Windows, with similar patches) have mostly been sound skips
    and
    > > general "skippy" behaviour (not the peanut butter). My VIA KT133 based
    mobo
    > > with Athlon 1000 had major sound skips, both with onboard VIA sound and
    > > SB512. Also the graphics in most 3D games stuttered badly.
    >
    > this is the first time i hear about such problems ...
    > i have no problems at all and it works great under linux and win 2k
    > (vcool) ... there are no sound skips or skippy behaviors ...

    Well I guess it's very mobo-dependent then. What I remember from the VCool
    program is that it made windows go crazy on me. I dont know exactly what
    happened, just that I removed vcool very quickly.

    I just tried the function again, not using vcool, instead *only* enabling
    bit 8 of register 0x52 ("Disconnect Enable When STPGNT Detected") with the
    following results:

    * No other (major) load than Winamp: Minor sound skips
    * Winamp when reading from hard disk: Major sound skips
    * Winamp when using distributed.net client: Almost no sound skips (one or
    two on a 4 minute tune)
    * Winamp when using distributed.net & using hard disk: Almost no sound skips

    As both the HD controller and soundcard does much DMA, I guess it has some
    connection to DMA transfers on the PCI bus?

    OS: Windows 2000 Pro
    Northbridge: VIA KT133
    Southbridge: VIA 686B
    CPU: Athlon(B) 1GHz