SubjectRe: Possible Idea with filesystem buffering.
> Re: Possible Idea with filesystem buffering.
>
> From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
> Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 17:10:27 EST
>

> We need a free-RAM target, possibly based upon a percentage of
> available RAM. The lack of such a target is what causes the
> out-of-RAM condition we have been experiencing. Somebody thought
> that "free RAM is wasted RAM" and the VM has been based upon
> that theory. That theory has been proven incorrect. You need

Now, I think the theory itself is OK. The problem is that the stuff in
buffer/caches is to sticky. It does not go away when "more important"
uses for memory come up. Or at least it does not go away fast enough.

> free RAM, just like you need "excess horsepower" to make
> automobiles drivable. That free RAM is the needed "rubber-band"
> to absorb the dynamics of real-world systems.

Correct. The free target would help to avoid the panic/frenzy that
breaks out when we run out of free memory.

Question: what about just setting a maximum limit to the cache/buffer
size. Either absolute, or as a fraction of total available memory? Sure,
it maybe a waste of memory in most situations, but sometimes the
administrator/user of a system simply "knows better" than the FVM (F ==
Fine ? :-)

While being there, one could also add a "guaranteed minimum" limit for
the cache/buffer size. This way preventing a complete meltdown of IO
performance. True64 has such limits. They are usually at 100% (max) and
I think 20% (min), giving the cache access to all memory. But there were
situations where a max of 10% was just the rigth thing to do.

I know, the tuning-knob approach is frowned upon. But sometimes there
are workloads where even the best VM may not know how to react
correctly.

Martin