    SubjectRe: Possible Idea with filesystem buffering.
    Rik van Riel wrote:

    >On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Chris Mason wrote:
    >>It seems like the basic features we are suggesting are very close, I'll try
    >>one last time to make a case against the 'free_some_pages' call ;-)
    >>The FS doesn't know how long a page has been dirty, or how often it
    >>gets used,
    >In an efficient system, the FS will never get to know this, either.

    I don't understand this statement. If dereferencing a vfs op for every
    page aging is too expensive, then ask it to age more than one page at a
    time. Or do I miss your meaning?

    >The whole idea behind the VFS and the VM is that calls to the FS
    >are avoided as much as possible, in order to keep the system fast.
    In other words, you write the core of our filesystem for us, and we
    write the parts that don't interest you?

    Maybe this is the real meat of the issue?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.024 / U:2.144 seconds]