SubjectRe: Hardwired drivers are going away?
On Mon, Jan 21, 2002 at 12:53:28PM +1100, Keith Owens wrote:

> >How often have we seen nonsensical backtraces here because
> >modules were involved? Possibly we can include a table
> >of module base addresses in the Oops output and teach ksymoops
> >about it.
>
> You see nonsensical backtraces because people persist in using the oops
> decode option of klogd which is broken when faced with modules. Turn
> off klogd oops (klogd -x) and you get a raw backtrace which ksymoops
> can handle. Guess why these entries are in /proc/ksyms?
>
> c48a2300 __insmod_3c589_cs_S.bss_L4 [3c589_cs]

and quite often the user has unloaded / loaded modules in the meantime
and the oops is useless.

It would be nice if klogd's oops detection just passed everything to ksymoops
untouched, and stored everything somewhere using -m

I don't see any reason why the internal profiler can't have an extended EIP
range to catch module samples either. Perhaps I'm missing something. Perhaps
no one cares enough ...

regards
john

--
"I hope you will find the courage to keep on living
despite the existence of this feature."