SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> > hardware), I think you're barking up the wrong tree with this
> > anyway.
> But at the least I could have logic that says: if you get a DMI
> readout and there are no ISA slots listed, *then* do useful deductions.

See other posting with examples of dramatic failures of
'slots in box, but dmi says none' and 'no slots, dmi says some'.
still think this is usable ? You're nuts.

> This is fine if all we want is to impress each other with our wizardliness.
> If, on the other hand, we are serious about world domination, it's an
> attitude that's got to go. We have enough real technical problems to solve
> without surrounding Linux with a thicket of pseudo-problems.

You're solving a non-problem.
Some examples of target audience you're aiming for in your previous
mail were I believe..

o The geek next door who wants to tinker and learn about the kernel.
Said geek is going to learn a damn sight more currently than he will
with a dumbed down pointy clicky "build me a kernel" button.

o Aunt Tilley.
Vendors already ship an array of kernels which should make it
unnecessary for her to have to build a kernel.

If you still think world domination is going to appear by idiotproofing
the kernel build process, I think you're in for a surprise.
We have far bigger usability problems in userspace. The point is that
$newcomertolinux doesn't need to know what a kernel is, let alone
have to build one. They just see "Booting progress" "Log in" "Desktop".