    Subjectkswapd etc hogging machine

    I would appreciate any expert insight into a problem that is causing me
    considerable grief. Please cc to me directly. Thank you very much.

    Problem: kswapd, kreclaimd, kupdated push load average high during simple
    tar. Response of system drops such that even keystroke echos are
    noticeably delayed.

    Specifics:

    Machine- 4 processor 700Mhz Dell with 4G Ram and 6G swap space running
    stock Redhat 7.2 distribution. All disks are SCSI using ext2.

    Command- from a remote machine this command is executed to the Linux
    machine "tar cBf - . | rsh linux "(tar xBpf -)".

    Manifestion of problem- As this command continues on a freshly booted
    Linux machine the free memory reported by 'top' slowly goes to a low
    number. When it bottoms out, the processes 'kswapd', 'kreclaimd', and
    'kupdated' begin to run pushing the load average above 4 at times.
    Responsiveness of machine drops dramatically with even keystroke echos
    delayed for seconds.

    I apologize if this is well known. If there is a simple solution I would
    appreciate even a terse pointer to it. Thanks.

    --
    Art Hays avhays@nih.gov or art@lsr.nei.nih.gov
    Bldg 49 Rm 2A50 (301) 496-7143 (voice)