    SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
    Eric S. Raymond wrote:

    > [...]
    > The person running the autoconfigurator is not and should not be doing so
    > as root. Requiring the person to stop and sun sudo just so the
    > autoconfigurator can proceed is exactly the sort of pointless
    > obstacle we should *not* be putting in front of users!
    > (Telling me to rely on dmidecode already being installed SUID is not
    > a good answer either. No prizes for figuring out why.)
    > Ay caramba...please guys, try get your heads out of the internals
    > and start thinking from the *useability* angle for once!

    Eric I see your point now. But stop me if I don't get the idea behind
    your autoconfigurator :
    Guessing the hardware configuration is done in order to ease the whole
    configuration process. After polishing the configuration - no need for
    root priviledge - the user start the build process that doesn't need
    root priviledge either.
    But when the user gets the resulting kernel how does (s)he avoid suing
    to root in order to *install* it and its modules ?
    I'm not familiar with people configuring and compiling kernels for
    pleasure. They usually want to boot it...

    Your whole point here is not to avoid several su instead of 1?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.033 / U:0.504 seconds]