SubjectRe: ISA slot detection on PCI systems?
Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> [...]
> The person running the autoconfigurator is not and should not be doing so
> as root. Requiring the person to stop and sun sudo just so the
> autoconfigurator can proceed is exactly the sort of pointless
> obstacle we should *not* be putting in front of users!
> (Telling me to rely on dmidecode already being installed SUID is not
> a good answer either. No prizes for figuring out why.)
> Ay caramba...please guys, try get your heads out of the internals
> and start thinking from the *useability* angle for once!

Eric I see your point now. But stop me if I don't get the idea behind
your autoconfigurator :
Guessing the hardware configuration is done in order to ease the whole
configuration process. After polishing the configuration - no need for
root priviledge - the user start the build process that doesn't need
root priviledge either.
But when the user gets the resulting kernel how does (s)he avoid suing
to root in order to *install* it and its modules ?
I'm not familiar with people configuring and compiling kernels for
pleasure. They usually want to boot it...

Your whole point here is not to avoid several su instead of 1?