SubjectRe: Extern variables in *.c files

Andrew> Oliver Xymoron wrote:

>> On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, vda wrote:
>>
>> > I grepped kernel *.c (not *.h!) files for extern variable definitions.
>> > Much to my surprize, I found ~1500 such defs.
>> >
>> > Isn't that bad C code style? What will happen if/when type of variable gets
>> > changed? (int->long).
>>
>> Yes; Int->long won't change anything on 32-bit machines and will break
>> silently on 64-bit ones. The trick is finding appropriate places to put
>> such definitions so that all the things that need them can include them
>> without circular dependencies.

Andrew> Isn't there some way to get the linker to detect the differing
Andrew> sizes?
`--warn-common'
Warn when a common symbol is combined with another common symbol
or with a symbol definition. Unix linkers allow this somewhat
sloppy practice, but linkers on some other operating systems do
not. This option allows you to find potential problems from
combining global symbols. Unfortunately, some C libraries use
this practice, so you may get some warnings about symbols in the
libraries as well as in your programs.

Regards,
-velco

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.073 / U:0.084 seconds]