    SubjectRe: clarification about redhat and vm
    Alan Cox wrote:

    > > "If redhat doesn't use the -aa VM " was a short form of "if redhat
    > > cannot see the goodness of all the bugfixing work that happened between
    > > the 2.4.9 VM and any current branch 2.4, and so if they keep shipping
    > > 2.4.9 VM as the best one for DBMS and critical VM apps like the SAP
    > > benchmark".
    >
    > The RH VM is totally unrelated to the crap in 2.4.9 vanilla. The SAP comment
    > begs a question. 2.4.10 seems to have problems remembering to actually
    > do fsync()'s. How much of your SAP benchmark is from fsync's that dont
    > happen ? Do you get the same values with 2.4.18-aa ?

    Well, basically we checked the thing many times with quite different
    kernels.
    Our current tests - which show exactly the same results as
    2.4.[10,14,15] - run
    on the new "official" SuSE kernel 2.4.16. Again, we observe a
    performance increase
    in high swap situations of about a factor of ten compared to 2.4.[7,9].

    IMO, this shows that errors like fsync etc. are _not_ responsible for
    the improved
    performance.

    But of course, we will check the newer kernels as well. I think we
    could live
    with another factor of ten ...

    --
    Best regards