    SubjectVIA KT133 & HPT 370 IDE disk corruption
    We first reported disk corruption with a VIA KT133A based board (Abit KT7A)

    and then switched to a VIA KT133 board (Abit KT7) that showed the same
    symptoms. It finally seems to be working, so I'm going to try to summarise

    The test configuration is:

    VIA KT133
    kernels: stock 2.4.18pre2, 2.2.21pre2 and 2.2.20 (both with Hedrick
    IDE patch 05042001 )
    Two hdds and a cdrom attached to the onboard hpt 370 controller
    3com 905b-tx
    Matrox G200 AGP

    In this configuration, we could force an oops

    with all the kernels we tested on each boot by running:

    cat /dev/hde > null &
    cat /dev/hdg > null &
    ping -f -s 64000 otherMachine &

    It usually took about 15 seconds for the oops to trigger. We also verified
    that wgetting a file (instead of ping -f) on the local 100mbit network would
    trigger the oops.

    The peculiar thing is that with certain BIOS settings the disk read & write
    test didn't show errors, even when left running over the weekend. But when
    the ping -f was launched, it started immediately showing disk corruption
    4 to ~1000 bytes in 64 megabyte blocks). The data corruption most likely
    happened when both disks were read in parallel. We weren't able to trigger
    disk corruption with disks on VIA IDE (686A & 686B).

    It turned out that the main culprit was the NIC that was attached to PCI
    4. Moving it to slot 3 resolved the disk corruption as well as the oopses
    occured. Other PCI slots to avoid for the NIC were 5 and 6. Slot 4 & 6
    an IRQ with the VIA USB controller, but I did try disabling it from the BIOS
    but it didn't help (lspci didn't show the device after it had been
    Slot 5 shares and IRQ with the Highpoint controller.

    Finally, we tested that it works with an Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card in PCI
    1 and the NIC in PCI slot 3.

    More details on request. Does anyone have any idea what causes this?

    Jani Forssell

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.033 / U:2.132 seconds]