SubjectRe: Tulip driver bug in 2.4.17 (fwd)

David Lang wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Ben Greear wrote:
>

>>David Lang wrote:

>>>Yes, (it's in a 2u rackmount case). it's a low right-angle extender
>>>

>>You're screwed :)
>>
>>It seems to be a hardware/PCI problem. I replaced 4-port NICS (the DFE-570-TX),
>>motherboards, cpus, entire chassis...the problem followed the riser cards.
>>

> then why does the same card work properly with the old driver? if it's
> truely a hardware problem then all versions of the driver should fail. if
> it's possible for one version to work around the problem (or avoid
> triggering it) then other versions should be able to.

That is interesting. (For me, I had some older, slightly slower systems
work, while the newer ones failed. I believe I tried older drivers on my
new hardware, but I'm not sure...) The only excuse I could come up with is
that the newer drivers/machines could utilize the PCI bus faster and
that somehow caused the lockup. Because even sysreq didn't work, I can't
imagine what a driver, buggy or otherwise, could do to lock the system
like it does...