SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] FUSE: Filesystem in Userspace 0.95
Hi!

> FUSE 0.95 is available (download or CVS) from:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/avf

(I'm offline, that's why I'm asking like that):

> What's new in 0.95 compared to 0.9
>
> - Major performance improvements in both the kernel module and the
> library parts.
>
> - Small number of bugs fixed. FUSE has been through some stress
> testing and no problems have turned up yet.
>
> - Library interface simplified. A simple 'hello world' filesystem
> can now be implemented in less than 100 lines.

Are you multithreaded? Like will big ftp download block all FUSE, all ftp,
only one server, or everything?

> - Python (by Jeff Epler) and Perl (by Mark Glines) bindings are in
> the works, and will be released some time in the future (now
> available through CVS).

Nice!

> Problems still remaining:
>
> - Security problems when fuse is used by non-privileged users:
>
> o user can intentionally block the page writeback operation,
> causing a system lockup. I'm not sure this can be solved in
> a truly secure way. Ideas?

How does GRUB solve this?

> Introduction for newbies:
>
> FUSE provides a simple interface for userspace programs to export a
> virtual filesystem to the Linux kernel. FUSE also aims to provide a
> secure method for non privileged users to create and mount their own
> filesystem implementations.
>
> Fuse is available for the 2.4 (and later) kernel series.
> Installation is easy and does not need a kernel recompile.

Maybe it could replace sf/coda and fs/intermezzo? Is it powerfull/fast
enough for that?
Pavel