    SubjectRe: rm-ing files with open file descriptors
    In article <>,
    Richard B. Johnson <> wrote:
    >This is a characteristic of a VFS (Virtual File System) on any
    >Unix system. The file doesn't go away until it is closed by
    >everybody that accesses it. However, you can remove or rename it
    >even when it's open for write by other tasks. If a task has an
    >open file-descriptor and keeps it open, it could 'fix' a possibly
    >deleted file, by opening it again with
    > new_fd = open("filename", O_CREAT|O_RDWR, 0644);
    >(without O_TRUNC) and it will remain in existance after all
    >file descriptors are closed, because it was "created" again
    >after it was deleted by another task.

    Well no. new_fd will refer to a completely new, empty file
    which has no relation to the old file at all.

    There is no way to recreate a file with a nlink count of 0,
    well that is until someone adds flink(fd, newpath) to the kernel.

    You're a regular on this list, frankly I'm amazed that you
    don't know this ?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.051 / U:0.092 seconds]