    SubjectRe: Rik spreading bullshit about VM

    On Thu, 17 Jan 2002, Erik Mouw wrote:

    > Some time ago Linus made the important observation that we shouldn't
    > tune the scheduler for SMP systems simply because 99.9% of the systems
    > in the world running linux have a single CPU. IMHO an equally well
    > observation would be that we shouldn't tune the VM for the 0.1% of the
    > systems in this world that run large DMBSes. The 99.9% majority is much
    > more important.

    There is a way to fulfill both needs. If my systems are part of that 0.1%,
    I have to disagree with you. :)

    There is no way to make one good VM for all possible situations. But, you
    can tune/make one VM to work great on large DBMS (e.g.) and tune/make
    another one to work great on ordinary desktop systems (playing mp3s & co).
    So, add different VMs as kernel-config options. The 'default' one should
    be VM for 99.9% users. Everybody happy? :)

    Greetings

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.025 / U:0.036 seconds]