    SubjectRe: [STATUS 2.5] January 17, 2001
    Just to add my pet point to the list.

    o Alpha Replace old NTFS driver with NTFS TNG driver

    At 07:13 17/01/02, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:
    >I've seen several times on this list people wondering what features
    >were in the works for 2.5 and what the status of the development was.
    >I did some grepping on the archive and put together a list of things
    >that have been discussed / worked on for 2.5 over the past year or so.
    >It's probably pretty incomplete and full of errors at this point but
    >I'll be happy to update it if you send me email.
    >o Merged New scheduler for improved scalability (Ingo Molnar)
    >o Merged Rewrite of the block IO (bio) layer (Jens Axboe)
    >o Merged New kernel device structure (kdev_t) (Linus Torvalds)
    >o Merged Initial support for USB 2.0 (Greg KH, others)
    >o Ready Add User-Mode Linux (UML) (Jeff Dike)
    >o Ready Add ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) (ALSA team)
    >o Ready IDE layer update (Andre Hedrick)
    >o <1 month New kernel build system (kbuild 2.5) (Keith Owens)
    >o <1 month New kernel config system: CML2 (Eric Raymond)
    >o Beta New driver API for Wireless Extensions (Jean Tourrilhes)
    >o Beta New IO scheduler (Jens Axboe)
    >o Beta Add JFS (Journaling FileSystem from SGI) (JFS team)
    >o Beta New VM with reverse mappings (Rik van Riel)
    >o Beta Add preempt kernel option (Robert Love)
    >o Beta Add resheduling points to remove latency (Andrew Morton)
    >o Beta Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT) (Karim Yaghmour)
    >o Beta Better event logging for enterprise systems (evlog team)
    >o Ongoing Better support of high-end NUMA machines (NUMA team)
    >o Alpha Add Asynchronous IO (aio) support (Ben LaHaise)
    >o Alpha Integrate EVMS into kernel (EVMS team)
    >o Started Rewrite of the framebuffer layer (James Simmons)
    >o Started New driver model & unified device tree (Patrick Mochel)
    >o Started Rewrite of the console layer (James Simmons)
    >o Started More complete NetBEUI and 802.2 net stacks (Alnaldo C de M)
    >o Draft #2 New lightweight library (klibc) (Greg KH)
    >o Draft #3 Replace initrd by initramfs (hpa, Al Viro)
    >o Planning Change all drivers to new driver model (All maintainers)
    >o Planning Add thrashing control (Rik van Riel)
    >o Planning Remove all hardwired drivers from kernel (Alan Cox, etc)
    >o Planning Porting all input devices over to input API (James Simmons)
    >o Planning generic parameter/command line interface (Keith Owens)
    >I hope this is helpful. Enjoy!
    >-- gb
    >Guillaume Boissiere
    >the body of a message to
    >More majordomo info at
    >Please read the FAQ at

    "I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
    Anton Altaparmakov <aia21 at> (replace at with @)
    Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW:
    ICQ: 8561279 / WWW:

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.039 / U:13.732 seconds]