SubjectRe: [STATUS 2.5] January 17, 2001
Just to add my pet point to the list.

o Alpha Replace old NTFS driver with NTFS TNG driver

Cheers,

Anton

At 07:13 17/01/02, Guillaume Boissiere wrote:
>I've seen several times on this list people wondering what features
>were in the works for 2.5 and what the status of the development was.
>I did some grepping on the archive and put together a list of things
>that have been discussed / worked on for 2.5 over the past year or so.
>
>It's probably pretty incomplete and full of errors at this point but
>I'll be happy to update it if you send me email.
>
>o Merged New scheduler for improved scalability (Ingo Molnar)
>o Merged Rewrite of the block IO (bio) layer (Jens Axboe)
>o Merged New kernel device structure (kdev_t) (Linus Torvalds)
>o Merged Initial support for USB 2.0 (Greg KH, others)
>o Ready Add User-Mode Linux (UML) (Jeff Dike)
>o Ready Add ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture) (ALSA team)
>o Ready IDE layer update (Andre Hedrick)
>o <1 month New kernel build system (kbuild 2.5) (Keith Owens)
>o <1 month New kernel config system: CML2 (Eric Raymond)
>o Beta New driver API for Wireless Extensions (Jean Tourrilhes)
>o Beta New IO scheduler (Jens Axboe)
>o Beta Add JFS (Journaling FileSystem from SGI) (JFS team)
>o Beta New VM with reverse mappings (Rik van Riel)
>o Beta Add preempt kernel option (Robert Love)
>o Beta Add resheduling points to remove latency (Andrew Morton)
>o Beta Build option for Linux Trace Toolkit (LTT) (Karim Yaghmour)
>o Beta Better event logging for enterprise systems (evlog team)
>o Ongoing Better support of high-end NUMA machines (NUMA team)
>o Alpha Add Asynchronous IO (aio) support (Ben LaHaise)
>o Alpha Integrate EVMS into kernel (EVMS team)
>o Started Rewrite of the framebuffer layer (James Simmons)
>o Started New driver model & unified device tree (Patrick Mochel)
>o Started Rewrite of the console layer (James Simmons)
>o Started More complete NetBEUI and 802.2 net stacks (Alnaldo C de M)
>o Draft #2 New lightweight library (klibc) (Greg KH)
>o Draft #3 Replace initrd by initramfs (hpa, Al Viro)
>o Planning Change all drivers to new driver model (All maintainers)
>o Planning Add thrashing control (Rik van Riel)
>o Planning Remove all hardwired drivers from kernel (Alan Cox, etc)
>o Planning Porting all input devices over to input API (James Simmons)
>o Planning generic parameter/command line interface (Keith Owens)
>
>I hope this is helpful. Enjoy!
>
>-- gb

"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/
ICQ: 8561279 / WWW: http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/