    SubjectTwo issues with 2.4.18pre3 on PPC
    Hi,

    I am very glad that the PPC patches are now merged so I can use a
    mainstream kernel again on my iBook. Thanks to all the people who did
    this. It works quite fine so far but there are two minor problems:

    - The kernel ignores the boot parameter hdb=ide-scsi, it probes hdb anyway
    and loads the ATAPI CD-ROM driver. The problem may be (I am really not
    familiar with the kernel internals) the function pmac_ide_probe() in
    drivers/ide/ide-pmac.c which does not check for any kernel boot
    parameters at all.

    - The generic RTC driver in drivers/char/rtc.c does not work for this
    iBook. The driver in drivers/macintosh/rtc.c does work, but it only
    implements the two ioctls RTC_RD_TIME and RTC_SET_TIME. (Is this due to
    hardware limitations?) Anyway, it is confusing to have both drivers
    configurable for PPC, maybe the corresponding Config.in files should be
    adjusted. (In addition, this is complicated by the fact that both
    configuration options appear in different submenus and if you select
    both as modules, then the generic driver will "shadow" the macintosh
    one.)

    Lukas

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:2.118 / U:0.280 seconds]