    SubjectRe: [RFC] klibc requirements
    Date
    Felix von Leitner writes:
    > Thus spake Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu):

    >> I think the dietlibc idea has to be scrapped so we can run BSD apps.
    >> (and others maybe, but I'm not looking to start a flame war)
    >
    > What apps are you talking about?

    I'm talking about all apps under the traditional 4-clause
    BSD license. Every single one of them is incompatible with
    a GPL libc. An LGPL library works fine.

    BTW, the LGPL isn't just for libraries anymore. It's now the
    called the "Lesser" GPL, perfectly suited for apps as well
    as libraries. I know this must be what RMS had in mind, so I
    released all my "ps" source code under the LGPL. :-)

    > You don't need NIS or SMB before mounting the root disk.

    NIS can be used to specify what filesystem to use.
    SMB could be that filesystem.

    >> Treat ELF like a.out, getting rid of the -fPIC stuff in favor of
    >> offsets assigned when you build the initramfs.
    >
    > ELF is a standard.
    > You can't just go out and re-invent dynamic linking completely.

    Sure you can. As long as the kernel loader is happy, no problem.
    People commit worse sins trying to squeeze stuff onto a floppy.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.027 / U:89.320 seconds]