    SubjectRe: hashed waitqueues
    William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > I believe to address architectures where multiplication is prohibitively
    > expensive I should do some reading to determine a set of theoretically
    > sound candidates for non-multiplicative hash functions and benchmark them.
    > Knuth has some general rules about design but I would rather merely test
    > some already verified by someone else and use the one that benches best
    > than duplicate the various historical efforts to find good hash functions.

    Looking up "good hash function" on Google leads to these notable pages:
    A Hash Function For Hash Table Lookup - Robert Jenkins
    Hash Functions and Block Ciphers - Robert Jenkins
    Integer Hash Function - Thomas Wang

    The last one is interesting because it mentions the golden prime
    multiplier function, and suggests good non-multipler functions instead.
    (Justification: the multiplier function doesn't distribute bits evenly).

    -- Jamie

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.033 / U:0.288 seconds]