SubjectRe: hashed waitqueues
William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> I believe to address architectures where multiplication is prohibitively
> expensive I should do some reading to determine a set of theoretically
> sound candidates for non-multiplicative hash functions and benchmark them.
> Knuth has some general rules about design but I would rather merely test
> some already verified by someone else and use the one that benches best
> than duplicate the various historical efforts to find good hash functions.

Looking up "good hash function" on Google leads to these notable pages:
A Hash Function For Hash Table Lookup - Robert Jenkins
Hash Functions and Block Ciphers - Robert Jenkins
Integer Hash Function - Thomas Wang

The last one is interesting because it mentions the golden prime
multiplier function, and suggests good non-multipler functions instead.
(Justification: the multiplier function doesn't distribute bits evenly).

-- Jamie