SubjectRe: CML2-2.1.3 is available
On Tuesday 15 January 2002 03:25 pm, Russell King wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 02:53:24PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > * The `vitality' flag is gone from the language. Instead, the
> > autoprober detects the type of your root filesystem and forces
> > its symbol to Y.
> This seems like a backwards step. What's the reasoning for breaking the
> ability to configure the kernel for a completely different machine to the
> one that you're running the configuration/build on?

He didn't. If you want to do that, run "make menuconfig" instead of "make

Autoprobing is just another tool at your disposal, you don't have to use it.
And you can probe for your hardware and then menuconfig what it found (run
"make autoconfig menuconfig"., and see my previous post for a small gripe
about this. :)

> Answers including Aunt Tillies or Penelopes won't be accepted. 8)

Trust me, if I thought there was ANY code I could write that would make cute
single women start using the Linux kernel en masse...

Right now I'm going for reformed MCSEs who are still largely clueless but now
have Linux+ certification and a boss who wants to spend his department's six
figure budget on something OTHER than a microsoft audit. Autoprobing might
help us convert a few of that crowd.