    SubjectRe: Why not "attach" patches?
    Some implementation-specific details people may find useful:

    * For 4.xx versions of Netscape Mail, with standard mime types/prefs,
    sending patches by MIME attachment results in a readable text/plain

    * The best way to mail patches is to pipe a header, patch description,
    and contents to "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t" or some other MTA. When I spam
    Linus or Marcelo with patches, my process looks like this:

    1) create outgoing patches
    2) change e-mail header template to reflect current kernel version
    3) put template and blank space at top of each patch
    4) "vi *.patch", manually insert descriptions and CC list from
    5) review each patch and description once again :)
    6) pipe *.patch individually through "/usr/sbin/sendmail -t"

    Here is the mail header template I use. Sendmail is smart and will
    insert all other headers like message-id and date, since they are not
    present. When using another MTA, make sure yours does this too.

    > [jgarzik@rum g]$ cat ~/info/mail.linus
    > From: Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at>
    > BCC: jgarzik at
    > To: Linus Torvalds <torvalds at>
    > CC: akpm at, davem at
    > Subject: PATCH net drvr

    As always, read Documentation/SubmittingPatches. That's what it's there

    Jeff Garzik | Alternate titles for LOTR:
    Building 1024 | Fast Times at Uruk-Hai
    MandrakeSoft | The Took, the Elf, His Daughter and Her Lover
    | Samwise Gamgee: International Hobbit of Mystery

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.022 / U:0.756 seconds]