SubjectRe: Why not "attach" patches?
"Martin Eriksson" <nitrax@giron.wox.org> writes:

> Why do many of you not _attach_ patches instead of merging them with the
> mail? It's so much cleaner and easier to have a "xxx-yyy.patch" file
> attached to the mail which can be saved in an appropriate directory. Also,
> the whitespace is always retained that way.
>
> OTOH I don't have very deep knowledge of "diff" and "patch", so maybe I have
> missed something here...

Patches are often saved and applied later. In this case it is useful to have
the context of the mail message it was contained in around in the same
file, so that you later actually know what you apply if you happen to
not memorize it completely. Patch will ignore the mail part so it can be
still applied directly.

With saved attachments you usually just a patch and no description, or
it requires extra effort to save the description too.

-Andi

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.553 / U:0.112 seconds]