SubjectRe: Hardwired drivers are going away?
one other thing re: simplicity.

bootloaders

I know that many of you who are advocating this new approach despise lilo,
but for many people it does the job just fine. with the new approach when
switching between kernels you now not only need to switch the kernel
images, but also the initrd (or equivalent) images.

also don't forget that the current way of storing modules can have
problems when some kernel comile options change (SMP for example, but IIRC
there are others) if you make modules mandatory you will have to fix this
first.

David Lang

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:23    [W:0.268 / U:0.504 seconds]