    SubjectRe: Penelope builds a kernel
    * Eric S. Raymond ( wrote:
    > Scenario #3: Penelope goes where the geeks are surfing.
    > If Penelope learns from the README file that all *she* has to do is
    > type "configure; make" to build a kernel that supports her hardware,
    > she can apply that MEMS card patch and build with confidence that the
    > effort is unlikely to turn into an infinite time sink.
    > Autoconfigure saves the day again. That guy in the penguin T-shirt
    > might even be impressed...

    $ apt-cache search kernel-patch | wc -l

    And I guarantee that if Penelope calls up her vendor, she can get
    someone to provide her a guaranteed-compatible and *tested* driver that
    can be managed by her package manager for less than the price of the
    pack of twelve she'll be using with the dude in the penguin t-shirt.

    Please try to understand the entire _point_ of distributions and get a
    grasp of how vendors work with the kernel, and stop waxing lyrical about
    contrived situations.

    /V\ | Tom Gilbert, London, England | |
    /( )\ | Open Source/UNIX consultant | |

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.023 / U:0.096 seconds]