    SubjectRe: Hardwired drivers are going away?
    Date
    On Monday 14 January 2002 02:09 pm, Alexander Viro wrote:

    > But it still leaves you with tristate - instead of yes/module/no it's
    > yes/yes, but don't put it on initramfs/no. However, dependencies become
    > simpler - all you need is "I want this, that and that on initramfs" and
    > the rest can be found by depmod (i.e. configurator doesn't have to deal
    > with "FOO goes on initramfs (== old Y), so BAR and BAZ must go there
    > (== can't be M)").

    This is something I've wondered about and would like to ask for clarification
    on: the relationship between the initramfs image and the kernel, build
    process-wise.

    How much of the build process for the initramfs will be integrated with the
    kernel build? Since the kernel won't boot without a matching initramfs, I
    take it that some kind of initramfs will be a kernel build target now?

    There's been a lot of talk about having the source for a mini-libc (uclibc,
    dietlibc, some combo) in the kernel tree, and other people saying we should
    just grab the binary for build purposes. The most obvious model I can think
    of for klibc staying seperate from the kernel is the user-space
    pcmcia/cardbus hotplug stuff, but that DID get integrated into the kernel.

    The klibc source/binary debate still seems to be ongoing, but apart from
    that, will the build process for initramfs be part of the kernel build or not?

    Rob.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:22    [W:0.041 / U:30.132 seconds]