    SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
    Rob Landley <>:
    > Make autoconfigure expands the pool of people who can build kernels,
    > but it's not going to saturate the populace to the point where
    > everybody immediately SHOULD. Not even close. Over time, the pool
    > will grow. But aiming for Aunt Tillie in the short term is probably
    > overreaching.

    No, it's not. Because the second we stop thinking about Aunt Tillie,
    we start making excuses for badly-designed interfaces and excessive
    complexity. We tend to fall back into insular, elitist assumptions
    that limit both the useability of our software and its potential user
    population. We get lazy and stop checking our assumptions. When we
    do this, Bill Gates laughs at us, and is right to do so.

    I've seen it happen in this thread. Many lkml people clearly have the
    attitude that if you aren't willing to sweat the arcana, you
    shouldn't be building kernels. Whst they don't realize is that with
    that attitude, we not only lose the Aunt Tillies of the world, we
    inflict a lot of unnecessary hassle on *ourselves*, too. We're
    sweating details with think time we could be spending creatively.

    Therefore I try to stay focused on Aunt Tillie even though I know
    that you are objectively correct and her class of user is likely
    not to build kernels regularly for some years yet.

    No matter how one approaches the figures, one is forced to the rather
    startling conclusion that the use of firearms in crime was very much
    less when there were no controls of any sort and when anyone,
    convicted criminal or lunatic, could buy any type of firearm without
    restriction. Half a century of strict controls on pistols has ended,
    perversely, with a far greater use of this weapon in crime than ever
    -- Colin Greenwood, in the study "Firearms Control", 1972

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.027 / U:10.752 seconds]