    SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
    On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 02:50:35PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
    > "Crap." Melvin thinks. "I don't remember what kind of network card I
    > compiled in. Am I going to have to open this puppy up just to eyeball
    > the hardware?" Doing that would take time Melvin was planning to spend
    > chatting up a girl geek he's noticed over at the computer lab.
    > Autoconfigure saves the day. Possibly it even helps Melvin get laid.

    Unless of course, geekgirl realises what a dork Melvin was for
    not doing something like lsmod / looking in /var/log/messages for
    boot messages showing not only what card he has, but what driver
    he needs.

    Common sense saves the day. Possibly it even saves Melvin making an ass
    of himself. 8-)