    SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
    Daniel Phillips wrote:

    >On January 14, 2002 12:33 am, J Sloan wrote:
    >
    >>Dieter Nützel wrote:
    >>
    >>>You told me that TUX show some problems with preempt before. What
    >>>problems? Are they TUX specific?
    >>>
    >>On a kernel with both tux and preempt, upon
    >>access to the tux webserver the kernel oopses
    >>and tux dies...
    >>

    >Ah yes, I suppose this is because TUX uses per-cpu data as a replacement
    >for spinlocks. Patches that use per-cpu shared data have to be
    >preempt-aware. Ingo didn't know this when he wrote TUX since preempt didn't
    >exist at that time and didn't even appear to be on the horizon. He's
    >certainly aware of it now.

    I am looking forward to testing out the new code
    ;-)

    >>OTOH the low latency patch plays quite well
    >>with tux. As said, I have no anti-preempt agenda,
    >>I just need for whatever solution I use to work,
    >>and not crash programs and services we use.
    >>

    >Right, and of course that requires testing - sometimes a lot of it. This one
    >is a 'duh' that escaped notice. temporarily. It probably would have been
    >caught sooner if we'd started serious testing/discussion sooner.

    Well I'm glad to hear that - I had been doing a lot of
    preempt testing on my boxes, up until the time I started
    using tux widely. When I told Robert of the tux/preempt
    incompatibilties, he mentioned the per-cpu shared data
    and said something to the effect that the tux problems
    did not surprise him. I didn't get the feeling that tux was
    high on his list of priorities.

    Hopefully that is not the case after all -

    Regards,

    jjs

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.027 / U:30.104 seconds]