    SubjectRe: [reiserfs-list] Boot failure: msdos pushes in front of reiserfs
    Andreas Dilger wrote:

    >On Jan 14, 2002 14:36 +0300, Oleg Drokin wrote:
    >>On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 02:16:30PM +0300, Hans Reiser wrote:
    >>>So what solution should we use, zeroing or fixing msdos to not try
    >>>something reiserfs can find, or both or what?
    >>We can use both:
    >> destroy MSDOS superblock (if any) at mkreiserfs (or don't touch 1st
    >> block of the device if there is no msdos superblock).
    >> And link reiserfs code into the kernel earlier than msdos code.
    >Hmm, I could have sworn I submitted patches already which did both of these
    >things. In general, it is perfectly safe to zero the bootsector of a
    >partition when you mkfs it (mke2fs has been doing this for a long time).
    >If you mkfs your boot partition (and zap the bootblock) you would have to
    >run LILO on it anyways after they install a new kernel, because the
    >location of the kernel would change.
    Can the kernel be in a different partition from the boot partition? If
    so, it is not safe, yes?

    >'Re: 2.4.15-pre1: "bogus" message with reiserfs root and other weirdness'
    >dated Nov 21, 2001 for patch to clean up reiserfs boot messages and order.
    >'Re: [reiserfs-list] Re: Basic reiserfs question' dated Sep 7, 2001 for
    >patch which (among other things) zaps non-reiserfs data from the disk
    >when mkreiserfs is run (also referenced in a subsequent posting
    >'Re: [reiserfs-list] mkreiserfs /dev/hdb' dated Oct 1, 2001).

    Oleg, please review his patches and integrate them into our release process.

    >There was a patch submitted within the past week to clean up the FAT
    >messages when "silent" is passed. In any case, that is mostly irrelevant
    >if reiserfs is moved up in the probe order.
    >Cheers, Andreas
    >Andreas Dilger
    >the body of a message to
    >More majordomo info at
    >Please read the FAQ at

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.024 / U:41.276 seconds]