SubjectRe: Hardwired drivers are going away?

Hello All , And on that day linux will loose one small person .
Taf , JimL

On Mon, 14 Jan 2002, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> Alan Cox <>:
> > For 2.5 if things go to plan there will be no such thing as a "compiled in"
> > driver. They simply are not needed with initramfs holding what were once the
> > "compiled in" modules.
> This is something of a bombshell. Not necessarily a bad one, but...
> Alan, do you have *any* *freakin'* *idea* how much more complicated
> the CML2 deduction engine had to be because the basic logical entity
> was a tristate rather than a bool? If this plan goes through, I'm
> going to be able to drop out at least 20% of the code, with most of
> that 20% being in the nasty complicated bits where the maintainability
> improvement will be greatest. And I can get rid of the nasty "vitality"
> flag, which probably the worst wart on the language.
> how soon is this supposed to happen?
> --
> Government should be weak, amateurish and ridiculous. At present, it
> fulfills only a third of the role. -- Edward Abbey

| James W. Laferriere | System Techniques | Give me VMS |
| Network Engineer | P.O. Box 854 | Give me Linux |
| | Coudersport PA 16915 | only on AXP |

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.165 / U:2.720 seconds]