SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
On Mon, Jan 14, 2002 at 01:26:18PM -0500, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
> > Now to do everything you describe does not need her to configure a custom
> > kernel tree. Not one bit. You think apt or up2date build each user a custom
> > kernel tree ?
>
> Is it OK in your world that Aunt Tillie is dependent on a distro maker? Is
> it OK that she never gets to have a kernel compiled for anything above the
> least-common-denominator chip?
>
> Not that I'm running down distro makers. They do a valuable job, and in fact
> my approach relies on Aunt Tillie's machine starting life with an all-modular
> distro kernel.
>
> But the point of this game is for Aunt Tillie to have more and better
> choices. Isn't that what we're supposed to be about?

Wouldn't it be better for Aunt Tillie to continue using an all modular
kernel (from a distro) so she doesn't have to "update" (in your example,
that means recompile) a new one everytime she adds new hardware? Does
she have to connect all of here 1394 and USB devices to the computer
during this phase in order to have them all supported?

Ben

/ Ben Collins -- Debian GNU/Linux \
` bcollins@debian.org -- bcollins@openldap.org -- bcollins@linux.com '