SubjectRe: Aunt Tillie builds a kernel (was Re: ISA hardware discovery -- the elegant solution)
> Is it OK in your world that Aunt Tillie is dependent on a distro maker?  Is
> it OK that she never gets to have a kernel compiled for anything above the
> least-common-denominator chip?

The two don't follow.

The goal of a typical end user is "make it work, make it go away and do what
it did last week". Random mechanics hating car owners don't do engine tuning
jobs or fit turbochargers.

Secondly we've established we can pick the right CPU for the kernel reliably
that is seperate to modules.

Thirdly building a lot of stuff modular is the right choice anyway - in the
world of hot plugging and USB Grandma is not going to want to recompile her
kernel because she bought a new trackball to boost her quake score.

Alan

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.346 / U:0.192 seconds]