    SubjectHardwired drivers are going away?
    Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk>:
    > For 2.5 if things go to plan there will be no such thing as a "compiled in"
    > driver. They simply are not needed with initramfs holding what were once the
    > "compiled in" modules.

    This is something of a bombshell. Not necessarily a bad one, but...

    Alan, do you have *any* *freakin'* *idea* how much more complicated
    the CML2 deduction engine had to be because the basic logical entity
    was a tristate rather than a bool? If this plan goes through, I'm
    going to be able to drop out at least 20% of the code, with most of
    that 20% being in the nasty complicated bits where the maintainability
    improvement will be greatest. And I can get rid of the nasty "vitality"
    flag, which probably the worst wart on the language.

    Yowza...so how soon is this supposed to happen?

    Government should be weak, amateurish and ridiculous. At present, it
    fulfills only a third of the role. -- Edward Abbey