    SubjectRe: initramfs buffer spec -- second draft
    First off, the documentation is great and the approach seems fundamentallly

    On January 12, 2002 09:04 am, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
    > PAD(n) means padding with null bytes to an n-byte boundary
    > [QUESTION: is the padding relative to the start of the
    > previous header, or is it an absolute address? Is it at all
    > legal to have a header start on a non-multiple of 4?]

    I'll vote for the always/absolute rule.

    > The structure of the cpio_header is as follows (all 8-byte entries
    > contain 32-bit hexadecimal ASCII numbers):

    I thought there's a binary version of the cpio header. What is the
    point of the ascii encoding?

    > The c_mode field matches the contents of st_mode returned by stat(2)
    > on Linux, and encodes the file type and file permissions.
    > The c_filesize should be zero for any non-regular file.
    > If the filename is "TRAILER!!!" this is actually an end-of-file
    > marker; the c_filesize for an end-of-file marker must be zero.

    It sure looks ugly, but I suppose the c_filesize=zero is the real
    end-of-file marker. Did I mention it sure looks ugly?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.021 / U:0.512 seconds]