    SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
    On Sun, Jan 13, 2002 at 04:18:23PM +0100, jogi@planetzork.ping.de wrote:
    > On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 09:52:09AM -0700, yodaiken@fsmlabs.com wrote:
    > > On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 04:07:14PM +0100, jogi@planetzork.ping.de wrote:
    > > > I did my usual compile testings (untar kernel archive, apply patches,
    > > > make -j<value> ...
    > >
    > > If I understand your test,
    > > you are testing different loads - you are compiling kernels that may differ
    > > in size and makefile organization, not to mention different layout on the
    > > file system and disk.
    >
    > No, I use a script which is run in single user mode after a reboot. So
    > there are only a few processes running when I start the script (see
    > attachment) and the jobs should start from the same environment.

    But your description makes it sound like you do
    untar kernel X
    apply patches Y
    make -j Tree

    I'm sorry if I'm getting you wrong, but each of these steps is
    variable.
    Even if X and Y are the same each time, "Tree" is different.

    The test should be
    reboot
    N times
    make clean