SubjectRe: Linux 2.4.18pre3-ac1-aia21 (IDE patches)
At 02:10 14/01/02, Andrew Morton wrote:
>Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
> >
> > Alan's -ac series is back! To celebrate this I added in the IDE patches and
> > an NTFS update which dramatically reduces the number of vmalloc()s and have
> > posted the resulting (tested) patch (to be applied on top of
> > 2.4.18pre3-ac1) at below URL.
> >

>Is that the NTFS code which produces eighty five quintillion warnings
>with the recommended gcc versions? :-)

Huh? You are referring to ntfs tng perhaps? No, this is just a small update
to the existing ntfs driver (admittedly taken from ntfs tng but this little
part shouldn't produce any compiler problems AFAIK).

This update makes ntfs use kmalloc instead of vmalloc for <= PAGE_SIZE
allocations and since the majority of the allocations are <= PAGE_SIZE this
is both a performance improvement and a decrease of load on the 128MiB
vmalloc vm area.

There were people who reported problems under load due to failing vmallocs
and concurrent ldt allocation problems. This patch should address those
problems.

Best regards,

Anton

--
"I've not lost my mind. It's backed up on tape somewhere." - Unknown
Linux NTFS Maintainer / WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/