    SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
    On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:

    > Note that some of them are bugfixes, without them an luser can hang the
    > machine for several seconds on any box with some giga of ram by simple
    > reading and writing into a large enough buffer. I think we never had
    > time to care merging those bits into mainline yet and this is probably
    > the main reason they're not integrated but it's something that should be
    > in mainline IMHO.

    Or just doing a large write while doing lots of reads... my personal
    nemesis is "mkisofs" for backups, which reads lots of small files and
    builds a CD image, which suddenly gets discovered by the kernel and
    written, seemingly in a monolythic chunk. I MAY be able to improve this
    with tuning the bdflush parameters, and I tried some tentative patches
    which didn't make a huge gain.

    I don't know if the solution lies in forcing write to start when a certain
    size of buffers are queued regardless of percentages, or in better
    scheduling of reads ahead of writes, or whatever.

    --
    bill davidsen <davidsen@tmr.com>
    CTO, TMR Associates, Inc