    SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
    On Sat, 12 Jan 2002 12:23:09 -0800
    Andrew Morton <akpm@zip.com.au> wrote:

    > Ed Sweetman wrote:
    > >
    > > If you want to test the preempt kernel you're going to need something that
    > > can find the mean latancy or "time to action" for a particular program or
    > > all programs being run at the time and then run multiple programs that you
    > > would find on various peoples' systems. That is the "feel" people talk
    > > about when they praise the preempt patch.
    >
    > Right. And that is precisely why I created the "mini-ll" patch. To
    > give the improved "feel" in a way which is acceptable for merging into
    > the 2.4 kernel.

    Hm, I am not quite sure about what you expect to hear about it, but:

    a) It applies cleanly to 2.4.18-pre3.
    b) It compiles
    c) During a load of around 150 produced by (of course :-) "make -j bzImage" and
    concurrent XMMS playing while my mail-client and mozilla are open, I cannot
    "feel" a real big difference in interactivity compared to vanilla kernel. XMMS
    hickups sometimes, mouse does kangaroo'ing, switching around different
    X-screens and screen refresh (especially mozilla of course) are no big hit.

    This is a dual PIII-1GHz/2 GB RAM and some swap. During make no swapping is
    going on.

    Sorry, but I cannot see (feel) the difference in _this_ test (if this is really
    a test for what you intend to do). Compile time btw makes no difference either.
    Perhaps this try is rather something for ingo and the scheduler...

    Regards,
    Stephan

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.433 / U:32.004 seconds]