SubjectRe: [2.4.17/18pre] VM and swap - it's really unusable
Andrew Morton kindly pointed out that my crack pipe is dangerously empty
and I didn't specify what patch I was talking about. In my defense, I
was up all last night tracking down the ext3 bug that Andrew fixed right
under me. ;)

I replied to the wrong message, which I've pasted below. This is wrt
Martin's VM patch per the previous discussion.

Apologies,
--
Ken.
brownfld@irridia.com

On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 02:41:17PM -0600, Ken Brownfield wrote:
| After more testing, my original observations seem to be holding up,
| except that under heavy VM load (e.g., "make -j bzImage") the machine's
| overall performance seems far lower. For instance, without the patch
| the -j build finishes in ~10 minutes (2x933P3/256MB) but with the patch
| I haven't had the patience to let it finish after more than an hour.
|
| This is perhaps because the vmscan patch is too aggressively shrinking
| the caches, or causing thrashing in another area? I'm also noticing
| that the amount of swap used is nearly an order of magnitude higher,
| which doesn't make sense at first glance... Also, there are extended
| periods where idle CPU is 50-80%.
|
| Maybe the patch or at least its intent can be merged with Andrea's work
| if applicable?
|
| Thanks,
| --
| Ken.
| brownfld@irridia.com

What I SHOULD have replied to:

> [...]
| 1846 statm_pgd_range 4.7577
| 469 sym53c8xx_intr 3.1689
| 176 atomic_dec_and_lock 2.2000
| 349 end_buffer_io_async 1.9830
| 492 refill_inactive 1.8358
| 94 system_call 1.8077
|
| 245776 total 0.1710
| 216238 default_idle 4158.4231
| 6486 file_read_actor 24.9462
| 2799 do_anonymous_page 10.4440
| 1855 statm_pgd_range 4.7809
| 1611 generic_file_write 0.7928
| 839 __make_request 0.4822
| 820 shrink_cache 0.7374
| 540 rmqueue 0.9507
| 534 create_bounce 1.5706
| 492 refill_inactive 1.8358
| 487 sym53c8xx_intr 3.2905
|

| There may be significant differences in the profile outputs for those
| with VM fu.

| swapping activity starts when expected and is properly throttled.
| kswapd and kupdated don't seem to go into berserk 100% CPU mode.
|
| At any rate, I now have the MH patch (and Andrew Morton's mini-ll and
| read-latency2 patches) in production, and I like what I see so far. I'd
| vote for them to go into 2.4.18, IMHO. Maybe the full low-latency patch
| if it's not truly 2.5 material.
|
| My next cook-off will be with -aa and rmap, although if the rather small
| MH patch fixes my last issues it may be worth putting all VM effort into
| a 2.5 VM cook-off. :) Hopefully the useful stuff in -aa can get pulled
| in at some point soon, though.
|
| Thanks much to Martin H. VanLeeuwen for his patch and Stephan von
| Krawczynski for his recommendations. I'll let MH cook for a while and
| I'll follow up later.
| --
| Ken.
| brownfld@irridia.com
|
| c.c:
|
| #include <stdio.h>
|
| #define MB_OF_RAM 1024
|
| int
| main()
| {
| long stuffsize = MB_OF_RAM * 1048576 ;
| char *stuff ;
|
| if ( stuff = (char *)malloc( stuffsize ) ) {
| long chunksize = 1048576 ;
| long c ;
|
| for ( c=0 ; c<chunksize ; c++ )
| *(stuff+c) = '\0' ;
| /* hack; last chunk discarded if stuffsize%chunksize != 0 */
| for ( ; (c+chunksize)<stuffsize ; c+=chunksize )
| memcpy( stuff+c, stuff, chunksize );
|
| sleep( 120 );
| }
| else
| printf("OOPS\n");
|
| exit( 0 );
| }
|

| On Sat, Jan 05, 2002 at 04:08:33PM +0100, Stephan von Krawczynski wrote:
| [...]
| | I am pretty impressed by Martins test case where merely all VM patches fail
| | with the exception of his own :-) The thing is, this test is not of nature
| | "very special" but more like "system driven to limit by normal processes". And
| | this is the real interesting part about it.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.188 / U:0.064 seconds]