    SubjectRe: Simple local DOS
    > > > log in on some virtual terminal, then run the following line
    > > > in a bourne type shell, like bash :
    > > >
    > > > X 2>&1 | less
    >
    > > or by just not piping X

    into less or more.

    > I didn't do it on purpose to lock up my system and risk FS corruption
    > durin unclean reboot. I was interested in the server output and " 2>&1 | less"
    > is the logical way to do that.
    >
    > I could also "solve" this problem by not running linux. And I can "solve" all
    > gcc bugs by not using gcc. Those are not solutions. Not to me at least.

    You could also solve all your computer problems by not using a computer.

    > > output into interactive programs. tail -f is a viable workaround -- and
    >
    > tail -f ? what is the difference between :
    > $ X 2>&1 | tail -f
    > and
    > $ X
    > ?
    >
    > > all this is off-topic on linux-kernel,
    >
    > non-root user locked up the console code. console code is part of kernel.
    > it is a kernel topic.

    This is not the problem. It's not the kernel's fault, it's less's fault.
    When you pipe to less, it only reads enough to display on the screen. X is
    sending tons more information than less is willing to read therefor X will
    block (stop) until less reads more. I've done this myself. my work around
    is to press END as soon as I hit enter. That way less will go to the end
    and not block.

    You're better off doing:
    X > somefile 2>&1
    then lessing "somefile". this won't block the X server.

    I agree with matt that this is off-topic as it's not a kernel issue, it's
    userland.