    SubjectRe: oops with 2.4.17 + mini-ll patch
    At 12:54 -0800 Andrew Morton wrote:

    >> Dual PIII 1GHz, modular everything inc. ATA/IDE (VIA); SCSI (gdth.o);
    >> NFSv3 (udp, client only); autofs4; ext2 only for local fs. Debian woody.
    >It could be a timer deletion race. There are still zillions of these,
    >but nobody ever encounters them

    This was the second oops the kernel produced--it wasn't syncing so I
    copied it from the screen. The first one I didn't record as I'd thought it
    might be related to a power surge we had.

    >What was the system doing at the time? Do you think a module could
    >have been in the process of unloading? autofs unmount, something
    >like that?

    Hmm.. I don't think modules were unloading, though it's very possible that
    usage counts were going down for exactly that sort of reason. The first
    oops occurred within minutes of system boot; the second was a few hours. I
    think the common element might have been mildly high system load--this
    machine is used by a PhD student running models on a mysql database on
    the SCSI system.

    Anyway, it's gone back to 2.4.9-ac18 now which it was running happily
    until the power problems. I do have two other machines with the exact same
    2.4.17 build (but different initrds) which both auto{,u}mount a lot more
    than the problem box, but they have other differences (no SCSI, different
    VIA IDE chipset..)

    Cheers though,

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:15    [W:0.022 / U:5.220 seconds]