    SubjectRe: lilo vs other OS bootloaders was: FreeBSD makes progress
    Date
    Followup to:  <m1iteth8j8.fsf@frodo.biederman.org>
    By author: ebiederm@xmission.com (Eric W. Biederman)
    In newsgroup: linux.dev.kernel

    > Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:
    >
    > > > So of course I realize this wouldn't happen any time soon, but has any
    > > > discussion taken place regarding enhancing the bootloader (grub? Steal
    > > > FreeBSD's?) to load modular drivers very early, and possibly abstracting
    > > > SMP/UP from the kernel proper? Wouldn't this be a better solution than
    > > > initrd?
    > >
    > > All the discussion we have has been based on seriously enhancing and
    > > expanding the use of the initrd/ramfs layer. Remember we can begin running
    > > from ramfs without interrupts, pci bus scans or the like. The things it cant
    > > do are - pick a kernel by processor type, pick SMP/non SMP.
    > >
    > > As it happens both of those are things that are deeply buried in the whole
    > > compile choices and how we generate the code itself - so they do need to
    > > be boot loader driven (or user driven)
    > >
    > > So the path for ACPI could indeed go
    > >
    > > load kernel
    > > load initial ramfs
    > > Discover we have ACPI
    > > load acpi core
    > > load acpi irq router
    > > load acpi timers
    > > [init hardware]
    > > load ide disk
    > > load ext3
    > > mount /
    >
    > Sounds about right.
    >
    > If we really need to do weird things like pick a kernel by processor
    > type, or pick SMP/non SMP. You can even do those from an initramfs
    > with a linux booting linux kernel patch.

    I discussed something like this before using "Genesis"; the idea
    behind it was to make sure we have enough modules to access the
    filesystem before the kernel starts (by using pre-initialization code
    that can read filesystem using the firmware interface.) Unfortunately
    life got busy on me, but I still think that it is probably the right
    way to approach this.

    -hpa

    http://www.zytor.com/~hpa/puzzle.txt <amsp@zytor.com>