    SubjectRe: lilo vs other OS bootloaders was: FreeBSD makes progress
    Alan Cox <> writes:

    > > So of course I realize this wouldn't happen any time soon, but has any
    > > discussion taken place regarding enhancing the bootloader (grub? Steal
    > > FreeBSD's?) to load modular drivers very early, and possibly abstracting
    > > SMP/UP from the kernel proper? Wouldn't this be a better solution than
    > > initrd?
    > All the discussion we have has been based on seriously enhancing and
    > expanding the use of the initrd/ramfs layer. Remember we can begin running
    > from ramfs without interrupts, pci bus scans or the like. The things it cant
    > do are - pick a kernel by processor type, pick SMP/non SMP.
    > As it happens both of those are things that are deeply buried in the whole
    > compile choices and how we generate the code itself - so they do need to
    > be boot loader driven (or user driven)
    > So the path for ACPI could indeed go
    > load kernel
    > load initial ramfs
    > Discover we have ACPI
    > load acpi core
    > load acpi irq router
    > load acpi timers
    > [init hardware]
    > load ide disk
    > load ext3
    > mount /

    Sounds about right.

    If we really need to do weird things like pick a kernel by processor
    type, or pick SMP/non SMP. You can even do those from an initramfs
    with a linux booting linux kernel patch.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.025 / U:9.704 seconds]