    SubjectRe: notion of a local address [was: Re: ioctl SIOCGIFNETMASK: ip alias
    Matthew Kirkwood:
    > On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, Wietse Venema wrote:
    >
    > > If an MTA receives a delivery request for user@[ip.address] then
    > > the MTA has to decide if it is the final destination. This is
    > > required by the SMTP RFC.
    >
    > Would it not suffice, in the common case, to check if the
    > local address that the SMTP connection was accepted on is
    > the same as the IP address in the email address?

    That would not work with local mail submissions. Mail may arrive
    via channels other than SMTP, yet use addressing methods according
    to Internet standards.

    I thank those who made useful suggestions.

    I apologize to those who mis-understood my question as a request
    to have kernel programmers explain me the mail RFC standards.
    I can RTFM the mail RFC standards just fine.

    The other folks need to grow up a bit.

    Over and out.

    Wietse

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.024 / U:1.128 seconds]