    SubjectRe: Linux Preemptive patch success 2.4.10-pre4 + lots of other patches
    Date
    On September 7, 2001 06:45 am, Robert Love wrote:
    > On Fri, 2001-09-07 at 00:36, Christoph Lameter wrote:
    > > Given the minimal nature of the patch I would suggest that it become part
    > > of 2.4.10 or 11
    >
    > Are you kidding? We will be lucky to see this in during 2.5.
    > Its a pretty big change. It makes the Linux kernel preemptible.

    CONFIG_PREEMPT

    > This is a fairly big move, one I don't think any of the major Unices have
    > done.

    The other Unices are at least evenly split, or mostly preemptible.
    Typically, a more complex strategy is used where spinlocks can sleep
    after a few spins. This patch is very conservative in that regard,
    it basically just uses the structure we already have, SMP spinlocks.

    > The only reason the patch is not _huge_ is because the Linux
    > kernel is already setup for concurrency of this nature -- it does SMP.
    >
    > I suggest you read
    > http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT4185744181.html
    > http://www.linuxdevices.com/articles/AT5152980814.html
    > http://kpreempt.sourceforge.net
    >
    > and my previous threads on this issue, for more informaiton.

    Hmm, how did you read those and come to such a different conclusion?

    --
    Daniel