    SubjectRe: OOPS[devfs]: reproducible in vfs_follow_link 2.4.9,2.4.10-pre4
    Giacomo A. Catenazzi writes:
    > Richard Gooch wrote:
    > >
    > > Alexander Viro writes:

    > > > Don't use devfs. One of the known bugs - devfs passes a string
    > > > to vfs_follow_link() and doesn't care to preserve it until
    > > > vfs_follow_link() is done.
    [I said it was fixed for UP in recent devfs patches]
    > > If people could test the latest devfs patch, that would be really
    > > helpful. Linus isn't applying it because he's concerned that the many
    > > SD support may break something. Even if you don't have many SD's,
    > > please apply the patch and send a message to the list (and Cc: me)
    > > stating whether or not your system still works.
    > No, your patch didn't work.
    > I have still the oops.

    Hm! Is this a UP or SMP kernel?

    > I investigates, and the oops come in the mountall script (in init.d),
    > when running: mount -avt nonfs,nosmbfs.
    > (I noticed thet at this point kernel load floppy modules, but when I
    > removed also the floppy module, the oops reappers.)

    Hm. I've had one other bug report which initially seemed to be
    devfs-related, but it was also related to the floppy driver as
    well. IIRC, elsewhere Alan noted there seemed to be some problems with
    the floppy driver. I suspect the bug you (and the other person) are
    having is related to the floppy driver and not devfs.

    Please try renaming/removing your floppy driver and see if the problem
    persists. I bet it goes away. As Al mused, it was odd that the problem
    only appears now. While there are known races in devfs, no-one has
    ever encountered these in real life (targetted exploits are not "real
    life"). So I too am surprised that suddenly there appears a problem
    with devfs.

    In the meantime, my tree is getting closer to the stage where I will
    attempt a compile. Soon I will be able to dispel this dark cloud of
    "devfs races" that Al keeps muttering about :-)

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.024 / U:35.208 seconds]