SubjectRe: [OT] Howl of soul...
On Sun, 26 Aug 2001, Barry K. Nathan wrote:

> > > there's nothing wrong with the chipset/controller; isn't this thread
> > > about the well-known DTLA problem? if so, then what mode you use
> > > is completely irrelevant, since the physical media is degrading.
> >
> > i feel like the media isn`t downgrading because
> > the badblocks _arent_ physical: low-level drive
> > reformat doesnt show anything.
>
> A low-level format (using IBM DFT) is going to *silently* remap bad
> parts of the disk. It's only going to complain once it's no longer
> possible to remap the bad sectors. So, just because the low-level format
> doesn't complain does not mean that there is no media degradation!
>
> Also, many people seem to be correlating it to heat, and possibly to
> flaws in IBM's implementation of glass platters in these drives. For
> example, see
> http://www.storagereview.com/welcome.pl?/http://www.storagereview.com/jive/sr/thread.jsp?forum=1&thread=16057
>
> -Barry K. Nathan <barryn@pobox.com>
> -

Just to add something to the noise, I'm so happy with DTLA-307030's
that I'm not even considering buying something different. As I see it,
there's simply no competing product, full stop. Recently I've bought
a 41Gb 60GXP, and I'm happy with that too. It is true that I usually
stick with the same HW for a long while, so maybe I'm just being lucky.

.TM.
--
/ / / Marco Colombo

  Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.051 / U:0.592 seconds]