    SubjectRe: /proc/cpuinfo bad cache info
    Followup to:  <>
    By author: David Balazic <>
    In newsgroup:
    > In recent 2.4.x kernels the "Cache: " line in /proc/cpuinfo
    > reports the amount of the L1 cache or L2 cache or L3 cache or
    > some combination of them, depending on what code is executed
    > for this ( different for different CPU types ).
    > Somebody should decide what information should be reported in that
    > line and then fix the code.

    We already DO report the information we care about -- the SMP
    weighting value -- and thus the code is correct. The value indicates
    how much data is localized to that CPU and therefore how expensive it
    is to reschedule a process elsewhere.

    Anything that reports anything else is buggy. This includes things
    like adding in the L1 cache in an inclusive cache design, or reporting
    the L3 cache when it is a shared cache in the chipset.

    <> at work, <> in private!
    "Unix gives you enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot." <>

      Last update: 2005-03-22 13:02    [W:0.023 / U:191.068 seconds]