SubjectRe: Linux DA Customer Support
[A few months ago, I sent a letter to linuxda.com asking them to
honour the license under which they obtained the linux kernel,
the GPL, and put their source code online ... finally a response.
I'll keep the response complete for everybody's reference.]

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001, info wrote:

> Dear User:
>
> We are committed to the Linux Open Source Movement.
>
> We are currently working on making the source code for the modifications to
> the Linux kernel available. Please continue to check www.linuxda.com for
> download availability.
>
> Thank you for your continual patience and support.
>
> Best Regards,
> Linux DA Customer Support Team

Dear Linux DA team,

It has now been a few MONTHS since you started with the illegal
process of making modified binaries of the linux os available
with no source code. If you have any big technical or business
reasons for not putting the tar ball with the source code online
it would be nice if you could inform the copyright holders of
the Linux kernel of your reasons.

If your next response is of a similar "don't tell anything, but
try to stall" style, don't be surprised if the patience of some
of the copyright holders runs out. In the worst case, this could
lead to your license to the Linux kernel being revoked, as is so
nicely specified in the GPL.

OTOH, if you really have legitimate reasons for delaying your
obligations under the GPL, I'm sure most, if not all, copyright
holders to the Linux kernel will understand and the status-quo
can be maintained until, say, the rollout of your product...

kind regards,

Rik
--
IA64: a worthy successor to i860.