    SubjectRE: page_launder() on 2.4.9/10 issue
    Date
    I'm relatively new to the Linux kernel world and even newer to the list, so
    forgive me if I'm asking a silly question or making a silly comment. It
    seems to me, from what I've seen of this discussion so far, that the only
    way one "tunes" Linux kernels at the moment is by changing code and
    rebuilding the kernel. That is, there are few "tunables" that one can set,
    based on one's circumstances, to optimize kernel performance for a specific
    application or environment.

    Every other operating system that I've done performance tuning on, starting
    with Xerox CP-V in 1974, had such tunables and tools to set them. And quite
    often, some of the tuning parameters can be set "on the fly", simply by
    knowing the correct memory location to set and poking a new value into it.
    No one "memory management scheme", for example, can be all things to all
    tasks, and it seems to me that giving users tools to measure and control the
    behavior of memory management, *preferably without having to recompile and
    reboot*, should be a major priority if Linux is to succeed in a wide variety
    of applications.

    OK, I'll get off my soapbox now, and ask a related question. Is there a
    mathematical model of the Linux kernel somewhere that I could get my hands
    on?
    --
    M. Edward (Ed) Borasky, Chief Scientist, Borasky Research
    http://www.borasky-research.net http://www.aracnet.com/~znmeb

    Stand-Up Comedy: Because Man Does Not Live By Dread Alone